Wednesday, September 23, 2009

entry room makeover

The latest house project that we've had going on is our front entryway. Before the makeover, there was trim and crown that we really didn't care for and white tile with white grout.... Seriously, who's idea was that? It may look nice in other people's houses but not in mine. It was so hard to keep white!! So after nagging at the hubby for a couple of years, we finally made time to re-trim and re-floor! And I am so happy with the results. First, here are the before shots when we bought the house:

And these are the way-after shots:



Don't look too closely, I still need to do touch up and Jordan has to put the shoe down.
Jordan also put in a doorway to connect our laundry room to the front entry and now our basement stairs (which are in the laundry room) feel more included with the layout of our house. (I keep dreaming of a new house someday that isn't from the 50s and so rectangular!) Our house has this 'radient heating' system and that's that box you see on the wall. It's another kind of annoying feature of our 1956 home. I tried to think creatively about how to camouflauge it but painting was the most clever thing I could come up with! Should I keep the boat in there with the vintage pictures of boats behind?
And these are the "we'll just paint it all for now and make it all over later" in-between pictures from the years we've put off this project!

The ugly crown molding, above, and the wall full of pictures, below.

So what d'ya think of the finished product?

23 comments:

  1. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! Thanks for linking up today!! I'm going to have fun spying on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I love that you painted the register to make it blend in, and I really like you removed the decorative trim from around it. Were they really trying to highlight the radiator?
    I love the boats, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fantastic. Wonderful transformation. Love the paint and the white trim and the floors. The heater looks great too all blended in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is awesome - I love the red and all your accessories. You've pulled everything together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this! I'm totally putting it on my blog! (If that's cool with you) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow wow wow.
    now THAT is an inspirational transformation!
    how nice to find it for someone who has to give her own house a TOTAL MAKE-OVER!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks awesome! great paint color & accessories..love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a BEAUTIFUL transformation! Your entry way is gorgeous. I love the tile. You've made the red paint look awesome and the decor is perfect. I love the boat theme.

    Thank you so much for linking up to the Show & Tell party today and adding your inspiration. Great job!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Cheap Chic Home. It looks so much better. I really like that color for an entry way. Not so overpowering like an entire room might be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! I'm here with DIY Showoff.

    This is a gorgeous transformation. It doesn't even look anything like the before pictures!! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! I love the flooring a lot! The wall color was a great choice! You and your husband did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your entry way remodel is absolutely amazing! Great job. Love how you painted the heater the same color and made it blend with the wall. What kind of flooring did you put in???

    ReplyDelete
  13. you should be SO PROUD... it looks so good! love the red walls!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow...like night and day...you did a great job

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, what a beautiful space Girl! Love all the color and displays and and and....:O) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a dramatic change! I love the shade of red you put on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The display of ships is my most favorite idea in your entry..i love it well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the change - brought it into this decade! Nice choice of colors and decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that is a great makeover!!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the red. I've been searching for a good red for my kitchen. I currently have three red patches painted on my wall to "live with" and I think they're all too pink. Do you remember the paint color you used?

    Thanks. It turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What type of flooring is that? Very NICE!!

    ReplyDelete