Friday, October 30, 2009

last minute halloween idea

Is anyone else a procrastinator? Well I usually am! I thought I'd share a last minute Halloween idea for anyone who still doesn't know what to make. (We're talkin food!) Tonight I made cupcakes for our party tomorrow night knowing that I'd have too many other things to do tomorrow. I used a white cake mix (yes, from a box!) and added played around with food coloring to create orange. Don't ask me what combination I used! I frosted the cupcakes with chocolate frosting. Then I put some white frosting into a baggy, melted it for about 5 seconds in the microwave, and then cut off a VERY teeny tip from the baggy. Next, I made a little spiral from the middle of the cupcake to the outer edge. Then I took a toothpick and starting from the middle, made little lines to drag the white frosting with the chocolate frosting and this is how it turned out: In case you can't tell, they're spiderwebs. I got this idea from a magazine a few years ago. I prefer to use foiled cupcake liners because I think the cupcakes are more moist and evenly baked. This time around, a couple of cupcakes got squished together and they reminded me of the shapes of ghosts.
I would have done more of these intentionally if it weren't a mistake to begin with :) And this is my gumball machine that I filled with black and orange m&ms. It looks festive but you get quite the handful when you turn the dial - which is ok with me!

I'm linking up with creative cats and A Soft Place to Land. Happy Halloween, everyone :)

7 comments:

  1. What cute cupcakes...they look really cool all together on the stand like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cupcakes are adorable. I love that idea!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cupcakes look great displayed on the stand. I like the spiderweb look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great! I want one! ;)

    Happy Halloween!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time to your blog--very cute curtains. I will have to click to follow and hope you come by and do the same.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the gumball machine filled with M&Ms. I have been on the hunt for a gumball machine for some time now!

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete