laundry room transformation

I'm finally getting some energy again and with it, I have started tackling the house. I had some loose ends to tie up: some painting jobs, some decorating issues, and some organizing I had started. The week before Thanksgiving, my husband got h1n1. And after caring for him and sanitizing and sanitizing and sanitizing (which I think kept me and my girls from getting it!!) I was about to lose my mind. So what did I do.... buy paint! And paint I did. I painted our laundry room, living room, and half of our half and full bathrooms. That is a LOT of painting. And each wall took 2-3 coats! And I pulled my back out because of it. I wanted to create more unity in my house. I was tired of every room being a different color. So I went in search of a 'straw' color to unite the rooms. I found 'ginger' from Eddie Bauer. It was a little more yellow than I predicted but I really like it. Especially since it replaced brown -it has really lightened up the house.

But this post is going to concentrate just on my laundry room. This is my LEAST favorite room of the house and it's generally the first room that people see. Let me show you the (way) before picture:


This is the best picture I could find... we were apparantly moving in! When we come into our house from our garage, we walk right into this room. When we bought the house we were thrilled about our big laundry room. Now it makes no sense to me. Not only is it unnecessarily huge but the dryer is in such an odd place. Is that not the stupidest way to set up a washer and dryer? Whoever came up with this floorplan.... grrr!! We are going to move the dryer next to the washer eventually but it's going to be a time-consuming project for my husband and he just isn't jumping on it! So I've done what I can to try to make it as eye-pleasing as possible until my husband can fix it. Here's the after picture:What do you think? We have since added a bead board wall with crown molding, changed out the flooring, and knocked a wall down so our front entrance is connected to the room (in my 1950s house, this makes it flow just a little nicer since our house is so boxy!) For now, I think I can move onto the other rooms of my house until my husband decides to fix the odd placement of the dryer! (And don't even get me started on our washer and dryer! Oh how I dream of having pretty front loaders some day that hum instead of clunk!!)

Comments

  1. I like it!! You are so creative~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lindsey - the red beadboard is FABULOUS! Great transformation! Hope you enjoy your weekend!! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment