a pantry diy


Hello:)  I'm Lindsey from Girl Meets Carpenter.  At first glance, my blog suggests that I'm your ordinary housewife with a talented carpenter husband, Jordan, and therefore I am lucky enough to be able to dream up designs and the hubby makes them happen.  But I hope that my blog is so much more than that!  When we were dating, I didn't know the difference between a flat head screwdriver and a Phillips.  Ten years later, when my husband asks me to pass the jigsaw, I don't bat an eye.  I have done things around my home that I never thought I'd have done (board and batten, tile cutting, trimming, dry-walling, demolition, etc.)  My hope is that my blog empowers men and women alike to step out of their comfort zones, out of the ordinary, and to try something new.  You CAN use a nail gun, you CAN draw on your closets, you CAN spill paint on your floors... and I have come to realize that I don't need my master carpenter for every single job!  And I hope our blog teaches you how to do it yourself and on a budget!  Don't get me wrong, there are many, many jobs that only he can do!  But why not try to add your own personal style into your home however possible?!  We just have an ordinary '50s ranch but over time, we have made it special and unique.  It's work but it's achievable and it's rewarding and you can do it too!  This pantry makeover is one example of how a minor change can make a big difference with just a little time and money.

We used to have this bi-fold door and we replaced the top portion with chalkboard panels.  Which was really useful.  But we had been wanting to incorporate a sliding barn door somewhere.  We decided that this would be a great place.  We sought out a door from our neighborhood antique flea market and we also found some gliding wheels there.   The door was too short (most old doors are!) so Jordan bought a sheet of metal and wrapped it around the bottom to add some height.  He then distressed it with muriatic acid which made it look authentic.  We had a local steel supplier cut off a 1/4 x 3 flat stock aluminum, it was inexpensive enough at $30.  We purchased a certain magnet lighting system so that when the door slides open, a light comes on.  At the same flea market, we found wheels that were used in meat processing... we cut the meat holding hooks off and just used the wheels from them.  And this is something that can be purchased online for way cheaper than your normal barn door hardware.







We used galvanized pipe fittings to space the flat rail off the wall.  One inch cuplers.


Jordan also made some new shelving prior to the barn door project.  Previously, there was just this crazy space that was hard to make functional.  We had added some slanted shelves so that we could still reach towards the back.  Our house has some crazy nooks and crannies that are completely useless!  But we finally have a perfectly functioning pantry.  The shelving is pine, 1x4.  We ripped them to 2.5 inches wide and they're 2 foot deep.  After the shelves were in place, I rubbed them down with poly-urethane and they continue to wipe down nicely.  Now, there was a time where I naturally stored our food in here, but it always looked like this.


Yuck!  Disorganized and not much to look at.  So I switched it up: plates/glasses/bowls into the pantry, food into the cupboards out of sight.  A simple solution that I wish I had thought of from the get-go!  And there is absolutely nothing special about my dishes.  Just think if you've got some great pieces to display.  It's smart and good-looking!







And remember those awkward shelves way back in the corner:

Those shelves are still there.  It's still kind of a silly space that doesn't make sense.  But at least it's not wasted space either:

... or is it wasted? ;)

Overall, the cost for the shelving was less than $70 and it took an afternoon to complete it.  The total cost for our one-of-a-kind barndoor was $100  ($30 door, $20 hardware, $30 aluminum rod, maybe $20 more for miscellaneous screws and fittings) and it was done in a day.

I hope that this inspires you to do something creative with a forgotten space in your home.  ESPECIALLY if it's a focal point of some sort or can be turned into a focal point!  

Comments